7.31.2008

Not yet ... Not yet ...

 
It seems like it's getting here too fast. Sooner than later, it will be time for me to hit the road again. This travel season won't be as bad as last Fall, but I can't kid myself ... I'm not looking forward to it, regardless.
 
I guess I'm still looking forward to the West Texas trip. No matter what, I can never hold a grudge against that part of the country. It's beautiful. You can drive down remote highways and still imagine that you're riding a horse through the open countryside. The mountains are both welcoming and intimidating. Even when they're snow-capped like they will most likely be this Fall, the mountains present themselves as a warm reprieve from the civilized world; which isn't really so civilized anymore, is it?
 
Inevitably I'll have to meander over to Southeastern Louisiana. It's a shame that such an ecclectic landscape with deep images from it's past, has become a place that is less than desirable to tourists. Even being familiar with the area, I still feel less than safe. I constantly watch over my shoulder for locals who are anxious for easy money from unsuspecting outsiders. I've even applied for my Concealed Handgun License, specifically for this territory.
 
---
 
Most of all, I'm going to miss the routines I've settled into since I've been home the past two months. I sit in the office and long to be home. I go to lunch with my wife, friends and co-workers. I see my kids as soon as they get home and I'm greeted with screams of delight from my daughter. It breaks my heart to think of her face the first time she comes home and realizes that Daddy is not home tonight.
 
I've really enjoyed my time with my wife these past two months. She's so special to me. I've grown much closer to her, knowing that she puts up with so much crap to stay married to me. I don't know how I lucked into snagging her, but it's important to realize that I had nothing to do with it. I was lucky.
 
So how will my life change when I start traveling again? On one hand, we've all become more adjusted to how things work when I'm gone. On the other hand ... we all like it better when I'm home. No matter what.
 

No comments: